The Law regarding Health & Safety is so vast that it requires a great deal of time & effort to truly understand it complexity. So listed here are 10 easy to understand key points that all Employers should comply with.
Health & Safety Law and what you should Know!
- Decide what could cause harm to people and how to take precautions. This is your Risk Assessment.
- Decide how you are going to manage Health & Safety in your business. If you have 5 or more employees you need to write this down. This is called your Health & Safety Policy.
- If you employ anyone you need Employers Liability Compulsory Insurance and you must display the certificate in your place of work.
- You must provide free Health & Safety training for your workers so they know what hazards and risks they may face and how to deal with them.
- You must have competent advice to help you meet your Health & Safety duties. This can be workers from your business, external consultants/advisers such as Safety Consulting Services or a combination of these.
- You need to provide toilets, washing facilities and wholesome drinking water for all your employees, including those with disabilities. These are basic Health & Safety-Welfare needs.
- You must consult employees on Health & Safety matters.
- If you have employees you must display the Health & Safety Law Poster or provide workers with a leaflet with the same information.
- If you are an employer, self-employed or in control of work premises, by law you must report all work-related accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences.
- If you are a new business you will need to register either with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) or your Local Authority – depending on the sort of business you have.
Are you meeting your GDPR requirements?
Complete our GDPR quiz to see how well you are doing.
“Due to my retirement the position of H&S manager was going be undertaken by an outside agency. After numerous meetings with consultants I was pleased the duty fell upon SCS. They were enthusiastic about their role with us & also came highly recommended by other people in the trade”…………
Online Training. Providing effective eLearning
Find out more about our training, including the extensive catalogue from our partner iHasco