The Law regarding Health & Safety is so vast that it requires a great deal of time & effort to truly understand it complexity. So listed here are 10 easy to understand key points that all Employers should comply with.
Health & Safety Law and what you should Know!
- Decide what could cause harm to people and how to take precautions. This is your Risk Assessment.
- Decide how you are going to manage Health & Safety in your business. If you have 5 or more employees you need to write this down. This is called your Health & Safety Policy.
- If you employ anyone you need Employers Liability Compulsory Insurance and you must display the certificate in your place of work.
- You must provide free Health & Safety training for your workers so they know what hazards and risks they may face and how to deal with them.
- You must have competent advice to help you meet your Health & Safety duties. This can be workers from your business, external consultants/advisers such as Safety Consulting Services or a combination of these.
- You need to provide toilets, washing facilities and wholesome drinking water for all your employees, including those with disabilities. These are basic Health & Safety-Welfare needs.
- You must consult employees on Health & Safety matters.
- If you have employees you must display the Health & Safety Law Poster or provide workers with a leaflet with the same information.
- If you are an employer, self-employed or in control of work premises, by law you must report all work-related accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences.
- If you are a new business you will need to register either with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) or your Local Authority – depending on the sort of business you have.
Are you meeting your GDPR requirements?
Complete our GDPR quiz to see how well you are doing.
“We had a small electrical fire at one of our sites. We contacted SCS who then arranged to meet the local fire authority & wrote for us what was described by the LFA as a well presented & very comprehensive Fire Risk Assessment. We have not looked back since”………….
Online Training. Providing effective eLearning
Find out more about our training, including the extensive catalogue from our partner iHasco